Towpath School

The school was built in 1949 to replace the original Towpath School, erected in 1879, and was used as a school until 1991. It was demolished in 2006.

An explanation of this collection

The photos in the Towpath Schoo section include the construction of Towpath School in 1948-1949 along with the speech Mr. Fred Turner gave at the cornerstone placement. The contents of the cornerstone and the cornerstone itself were taken from the building right before it was demolished in 2006 – a huge mystery!

Terri Wilson, President of the Historical Society, lives in the Turner house. Mr. Turner was head of the building committee for this and his wife, Nellie, was an amateur photographer who took all these photos. Their sons gave Terri Wilson these photos. Unfortunately, we do not have the originals.