Joseph Alsop (1876-1953) dedicated his life to Avon. He was very influential in local Avon government, serving as a town selectman for 33 years. Mr. Alsop was also the first chairman of the library board when it was formed in 1909. When the library building on Route 44 opened in 1933, Mr. Alsop was the First Selectman, as well as a generous contributor to the building fund.
Upon her husband’s death in 1953, Mrs. Corrine Alsop donated $2,000 to the library in his memory. The board voted to allocate this money to the “Joseph Alsop Memorial Fund,” a building fund to be used to finance a new wing to the library. This money and a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Maude Ely Gibbons formed the seed money for the new addition. More than 600 families contributed to this fund which eventually grew to $29,000. The new wing was dedicated to Alsop as a memorial because of his great contributions to the infrastructure of the town, including the library, schools and roads.
Avon Free Public Library continues to honor the memory of Mr. Alsop and his generosity by referring to the Community Room as the Alsop Community Room.